This article is part 2 in a series of reports about websites that are under-performing, aged and neglected – and how we gradually improve their status, to a decent, healthy income-earning set of websites.
Instead of abandoning these types of websites, we decided it would be of mutual benefit to nurture these sites methodically, giving them a refresh and applying just one technique or set of traffic and income growth steps. In doing so, during the course of these snapshots, we hope you will be enlightened and inspired to refresh your own websites, which have long become neglected.
We believe that applying one set of techniques we can increase traffic and earnings for each of these sites.
- Selected a higher quality, new set of hot air brush products from AffiliateWindow retailers.
- Ordered articles on Hirewriters.com, providing writers additional days to complete.
- Fixed oversize copyright footer text to resize with viewport (mobile optimization).
- Fixed numerous problems in articles by rereading them carefully, including spelling errors and wordiness.
- Fixed numerous link styles that were headers and conflicting with new WordPress theme styling.
- Fixed other bugs related to switching WordPress theme.
- Removed the majority of banners.
- Removed a photo and made some posts flow better with consistent image sizes, improving visual rhythm.
- Created a top and bottom of article affiliate tag for each review article for tracking and optimization purposes.
- Created a basic logo with new colors.
- Added a comparison table and CSS styling for it. Doesn’t look good and may change.
- Created a simple favicon which may need additional work.
- Selected a better WordPress theme that’s simple yet elegant (may change in future)
- Published a set of articles – reviews and informational articles about brands.
- New disclaimer at the end of articles to ensure we offer as truthful and accurate information as we possibly can.
- Altered the site structure by creating a simplified menu – see below:
Active Problems with Content
The current articles are short and lack value. Google’s human reviewers would call this site a “low effort” site, as little effort was put into creating value for the visitors.
Also, we noticed our site had an overall strong push to send people to affiliate sites like Amazon. That doesn’t go over well, so we hope to improve the tone of the site.
Although our plan last month was to order a 5-set of good quality, lengthy reviews – they turned out anything but. In fact, one issue with Hirewriters.com resulted in a total loss of some content because of a login issue. This highlights the importance of reviewing the work of writers, even if they have lots of star ratings on some content website.
- Content Problem: Despite good instruction and good payment, writers failed to produce quality review articles.
- Content Published: Only 1-2 review articles were useful and accurate for the site. These have been published.
- Supplementary Content Published: A focus on supplementary content was taken in order to broaden the authority of the site; for example, there is now an article about brands and their histories.
To recap, we published about 2 review articles (6k word count) and not the 5 we had intended. The total word count of them would have been 15,000 words.
Marring things further, technical problems on the content ordering site delayed the process which resulted in even worse quality articles.
On the lighter side, the supplementary articles turned out well, giving the hairstyle products site more authority. We’re grateful to the writers who showed good effort and enjoyed producing the other articles.
|Site||Date of Snapshot||Traffic Per Day||Monthly Traffic||Average Bounce Rate|
|Besthotaircurlingbrushes.org||4/1/16||4.5 (doubled)||141 (doubled)||83.69% (less 5%)|
What we would like to do is increase both traffic and earnings using just one method. We continue with the same method this month: by adding value articles to the site, hopefully, in greater number.
With good writing, this website will look more professional and actually become a valuable resource.
Content and Stats
|Post Count||Word Count||Backlinks||Social Likes/Follows|
|21 (last: 17)||17,638 (last: 9380)||2 (last: 3)||9|
Method and Goal
This upcoming month’s goal is to write 30 lengthy review articles without the assistance of freelance writers.
Although we’ve failed to produce 5 long review articles to increase site traffic and earnings, we now have 12 or so that are ready for prime time.
|30 Long Articles||$0-$10 Income Per Month Average||$50-$100 Income Per Month Average|
Results This Month
This month’s traffic result is very good. Traffic did double upward and bounce rates were reduced by 5%. However, the main cause of low income here is a lack of pages. The site is still young and needs more articles.
Despite the lack of progress this month, the site generated $3 in non-related commissions via Amazon Associates program.
Future Issues: Getting Quality Photos
We would like to include photos with the new articles but since our focus this month will be research, reading, and writing, we won’t have our full focus on getting photographs.
Successes with Mobile
The theme selected has a good clear appearance and is easy and pleasant to read. It’s not fancy like Genesis WordPress themes, but it will do for now. We’re quite pleased with any WordPress theme that looks good and clean on the phone!
Our goal was to publish 5 lengthy review articles last month (April). However, hiring writers to produce reviews failed, despite giving good instruction and resources.
This month we are going to write and publish a set of 30 lengthy review articles. So far we have around 12 articles ready to be published. This should add more substantial value to the website and lower bounce rates.
We intend to purchase Genesis WP Themes in order to improve the look and authority of the site as soon as we complete publishing 30 articles.
The steps we will be taking are as follows:
- Research 30 highly rated products carefully.
- Write 30 articles about the products providing the most value we possibly can.
- Publish 30 articles and embed only one or two links within the body of the paragraphs to affiliate product pages.
- Buy Genesis WP Theme to improve the look and authority of the site.
There is a lot that could be done to increase sales on this website. We can do social media to promote the articles or even turn to advertising. But the most effective for this site will be adding more content that is of good value to readers.
That’s why we decided to write 30 new review articles that are sufficiently long and have enough depth that readers can be enriched.
Some of the troubles we’ll be facing is, finding accurate and reliable resources for our review research. There are hundreds of affiliate review sites that have been published hastily (much like this one was) that keep coming up – and some products we simply cannot review because of a lack of feedback from users.
We believe 30 long review articles will add around 9 visitors per day. Let’s hope for the best and work hard!
Thank you for reading and — See you here in about one month.