Hiring on Odesk? Hiring on Elance? Use the following tips while hiring on Odesk or while hiring on Elance. Get better contract workers and outsource with more consistent results!
1. Create a small budget test project and outline 1 part of the project you want done. This could be a $10 task or even a $30 task. Pay for the job, not for the hours. This way, you can see if they can get you the results you wanted and if they follow instructions accurately enough for your next task.
2. Ask the contractors that apply to enter 1 word of your choice into their proposal title:
For example, for anyone who wishes to seriously be considered for this task, please write “Apples” in the headline of your proposal. This works wonderfully well = you will weed out people who are sending hundreds of applications to many employers without discretion vs. those who are quality applicants!
3. Create a Skype account and speak to them in person.
If you feel they can understand you and your requirements, aren’t pushy, desperate or aggressive – then you may be able to do a bit of work together. Call them up on Skype to hear them, or chat with them about their experience, what they can do, how they will do it, and if they can do it a little less expensively(if apt).
The goal of any employer is to hire the best worker for the right job.
But you’ll find frequently that workers online are 1) don’t listen or read your requirements 2) don’t actually have qualifications to meet the need of the tasks 3) have hidden feedback or falsified feedback 4) may be dishonest and lazy.
How do we weed out the bad applicants?
Test project. Listening test. Interview them. See how well they follow instructions and verify that they actually worked with another employer on the jobs they say they did. It is similar to applying for a job in person for the contractors, so you should apply as much diligence as you would in a “real” hiring.
- Test project with a tiny budget.
- Listening test: ask them to write a particular phrase or keyword in their proposal subject line.
- Verify past employer.
When to bail hiring on odesk or hiring on elance
If a contractor has not fulfilled the requirements at your first deadline or requirement, you can go ahead and let them know you are considering dropping them. If they again cheat you of time and money, then it’s time to file negative feedback (yes, even if you get negative feedback from them). Be courteous and state factually what they did wrong, setting your anger aside for calm. You’ll recover your money lost eventually, but do show yourself diligent and calm.
Here are a few types to look for “when to bail” — would you want these types of people to be working for you, and what would the outcome be for you if you hired one of these types?
33 Valuable Lessons for Affiliate Marketers:
- Dishonest applicants.
- Desperate, pushy applicants.
- Easily angered, frustrated, flip-flopping applicants.
- Lazy applicants.
- Late and slow to give response applicants.
- Contradicting and uncooperative / passively aggressive applicants.
- Foreign language applicants who fail to meet communication threshold.
- Boastful, over-hyped applicants.
Would you give the above applicants $100 for your next job? How about $3,000? We hope this list of poor applicants helps you to identify them faster so you can find the better applicants sooner! The Odesk hiring process isn’t easy, but a little bit of effort on finding the exact match for your project will be well worth the results you find.
How to find great workers
These workers are usually busy. They have a few jobs going and have lots of hours racked up. Their feedback is varied from many people, with verifiable results (sites, examples, pictures, data as evidence of their good work). They have an excellent profile and a quality picture (they can afford it). They usually charge more. They communicate flawlessly and reach out frequently to check in on you.
- High quality workers may drop out, unfortunately, due to family reasons, travel – keep this in mind.
- High quality workers enjoy communicating via Skype to ensure client satisfaction.
- High quality workers are not lazy but they outdo themselves each time.
- High quality workers are flexible with pay and meet all requirements of a job.
- High quality workers listen carefully to instructions and may pass on a job if they realize they can’t do it.
- High quality workers are gentle, cooperative, understanding, peaceful, informed.
- Good spelling, grammar, understand your requests and tasks easily and explain them quickly.
Caution: Hiring site to avoid at all cost
DO not hire on freelancer.com – this site is not reputable or safe. There are scams run on this site, according to submitted reviews. I have personally been scammed on this website not only by the website but also by the contractor.
- Many outsourcing websites like Odesk and Elance have their share of scammers.
- Exercise high caution on all websites where you buy services.
- If in doubt due to some detail on their profile or application, skip the contractor (depending on how you feel) or ask for more information to confirm a rejection of an applicant (to confirm they do not meet the standard).
Quality: Elance.com vs Odesk.com
While we haven’t confirmed this personally, Odesk appears to be the less expensive outsourcing website while Elance.com offers a more professional variety at a more premium price.
Questions: If you are a frequent user of both services, can you confirm this in your experiences? Do flat-fee services result in better service than hourly services?
If you’re looking for an ideal candidate for your next set of projects, set a budget for a test project and give them something they can prove themselves with. If they follow the task to the letter, then perhaps you can try them for a longer project. Be ready to bail if they flake out on requirements, fake hours, or communicate erratically, aggressively, or some other uncomfortable way for you.
Also, see if the applicant filled out the title using the ‘test keyword’ in the proposal to you. You’ll be surprised how many people don’t read your job instructions when they send their proposal in! This will let you know how well they listen to instructions.
Last, if they are interesting for your requirements, skype them a conversation. If you feel uneasy, ‘off’ in any way – just let them know, courteously, “goodbye, we will be looking for other applicants.” To close the relationship.
Lastly, leave feedback that is truthful – even if it hurts your profile. You can’t imagine the grief you may spare someone who spends a great deal more money on a terrible worker, scammer or some other contractor that just shouldn’t be on a site like Odesk or Elance.