While working from home has its advantages (less gas consumption), it can be hard to get things done, particularly if the home is also your workplace: bad habits form, reducing motivation and productivity.
Worse, the boundary between work and life start to blend, causing relationship problems.
Sure, it’s comfortable to wake up, turn on your PC and start working while everyone else is sleeping. But often bubbles of obligation brought on by a spouse, family member, a child or a pet can become relentless distractions. Bit by bit, a crystal clear focus in the AM can quickly become wasted, murky hours of productivity.
In this article, we’ll explore two simple ways to make your self employment journey easier. Other entrepreneurs have discovered this method and apply it religiously.
We hope you will realize its benefits, too.
- Mobile entrepreneurs have found places where they can focus to get things done
- Improve your focus and get more done with these two methods
- Laptop is recommended, but a pen and paper can also produce outstanding results if you’re working on websites
#1 – Go to Your Favorite Cafe
Bring your laptop to a favorite cafe, hook up to the WiFi and get what you need done. The distractions at a cafe can be a lot too, but we’ve found they can be “zoned out” because they aren’t obligations. When a child interrupts a task, everything stops and focus goes to zero. But when it’s the day to day goings on at the shop, it can be a highly conducive place, despite all appearances.
If noise is too much of an issue, you can find another cafe that’s desolate, buy their cheapest product and work. The best thing is, you begin to form a habit. Since driving 10 – 15 minutes to the cafe takes a small financial investment, making the most of each cafe trip becomes a priority.
Writing a blog post, updating a WordPress theme, or inserting affiliate links into your pages becomes a breeze. No one to stop you, no children or pets, no dishes to do and no need to make dinner (please be responsible and do take good care of your household).
We highly recommend sharing your views on work and life with your spouse. Make it a friendly cooperation that will help both of you to enjoy time together at home. Also mention how important it is for you to get things done at your mobile workplace, so you can have stronger friendship and understanding of one another’s needs.
33 Valuable Lessons for Affiliate Marketers:
- Have conversations with your spouse before you start. Their cooperation and understanding is crucial to life and work happiness. Hear their concerns and make a good plan!
- Try just one day a week. See how much you can get done at the cafe and discuss making it a thing.
- Before you leave, have some idea of what you’re going to accomplish. Set out to finish before you leave the shop. Develop a great habit of being productive while at the cafe.
Sometimes the coffee shop is too noisy for work or WiFi breaks. Take time to acquaint yourself with the local area for “secondary” workplaces you can take off to with your gear. Setup at another cafe, pretend it makes no difference and focus.
#2 – Go to Your Local Library
Libraries aren’t just for checking out books. They have free WiFi and some cool, quiet places for mobile work.
After logging into the library WiFi, you can resume your entrepreneurial activities. Each time you arrive, think of your objective for the trip. It may have taken you 30 minutes to get there, so make your trip count. Work a few hours and accomplish the key tasks for your web project.
- Quiet. Most libraries have a rule about silence, making it ideal for crystal clear focus.
- Free WiFi. The library won’t force you to buy something to use their WiFi. This is a definite bonus!
- Helpful research materials. It’s easy to rely on Google and academic materials on the web, but if you’re at the local library, you may have access to information that isn’t frequently disseminated on the web.
For these three reasons, the library is one of our favorite hubs for getting our entrepreneurial activities done. You can come home feeling truly accomplished and relaxed (or at least, “on schedule”).
One major downside to libraries? They don’t normally operate 24 hours a day. But that’s where cafe’s come in…
While working from home has its advantages, it can be hard to get things done, particularly if the home is your usual workplace.
Habits form. Often focus is wiped out by obligations and an overflow of at-home distractions. Don’t let these things stop you from completing your web projects.
Have a conversation with your spouse or family members about taking your work outside the home. They’ll appreciate your honesty if you cooperate to make a healthy and happy plan for mobile working.
Once you’ve made a plan, try the library or cafe near your home. Get your laptop or notepad and pen, drive, bike or walk. Get stuff done.
We hope from this, you’ll become an even more effective entrepreneur!
(You still think it doesn’t work? Try these two productivity methods and leave a comment below on your results.)