What Is An Affiliate and How Does Affiliate Marketing Work?
In the simplest sense, an affiliate is a person who promotes the products of another company.
For every visitor an affiliate marketer sends to a website, they may receive a commission for a sale that is completed.
- There are a variety of advantages and rewards depending upon the affiliate program.
- Special links must be used. These links are provided to you after registering with an affiliate program. They credit you with the commission.
- This is the main focus of our products. They show you how to make money using affiliate programs.
Use the menu below to start the basic affiliate training course. You’ll learn affiliate marketing basics and much more!
Discover a topic that interests you. Even if your research is a little disorganized your first time, it is one of the most vital keys to the success of your affiliate website.
# 2 Build
Create your website with a lot of valuable content and continue to publish regularly to your new website for more web traffic, while applying key search engine optimization steps.
Sign up to good affiliate programs and make money with your website. Insert ads easily and occasionally test better positioning for ads on your website.
#1 – Research
In the first stage of building an affiliate website, let’s do a bit of research. Then we can explore ideas that interest us until we find a suitable topic.
Start with interests, hobbies, work
What interests you? Use your inspirations in your initial research. Sites you enjoy.
With a little patience and care, you may land on a topic that is a far better fit for you:
- List topics that interest you.
- Go through a process of evaluating each idea. Rating ideas 0 or 1 based on your confidence is one way.
- Confident in a topic? Move further in the research to finding keywords and affiliate programs.
Almost any topic is open to you for exploration. Even if you don’t know that there is an affiliate program for your topic, move ahead. Make a list of topics, vote, do whatever you think is important to your decision.
Who can say which topic will become a successful website? We’ve often been quite surprised!
At any point you feel you’ve chosen the wrong topic, you can go back to your initial ideas and pick another.
Don’t feel rushed, this is an important decision.
Get low competition keywords
What tool should you use to find keywords?
SEMRush.com offers a free 30-day trial to a powerful research suite, suitable for finding excellent low competition keyword opportunities.
What is a low competition keyword?
A low competition keyword is a search phrase that has fewer competitors vying for its traffic. Although these keywords may not get thousands of searches per day, they make up a lot of search volume combined.
- Using low competition keywords skillfully in an article is beneficial to traffic growth, as of 2016.
- Natural use of search phrases and keywords is a standard practice in the industry among search engine optimization companies.
How high should the “Com” (Competition) percentage be for the keywords I export?
Save keywords that have under 10% competition. Generally, we avoid keywords with 50% or higher competition and stick to “long tail” terms.
How many keywords do I need to get?
Get as many as possible with a minimum combined search volume of 10,000+.
This means you could have 150 keywords and each of those getting about 66 searches per month. If your aim is a lot of traffic, get hundreds of keywords with under 10% competition.
Think of each keyword in terms of new articles.
Imagine that each keyword or phrase is an interesting main topic for an article.
If you can understand the concept of using these sometimes funny phrases and words within each article title – meaningfully and naturally – you’re well on your way to building a growing website!
Choose a topic of interest to you
- “Will I enjoy writing about this 3 times a week?”
- “Do I enjoy writing about this topic?”
- “Do I have an interest in the topic?”
If the answer is NO to one of the above questions, do you have some money saved up for 15 articles? See Hirewriters and Textbroker.com for cost of ordering articles to be written by freelance writers.
Also, ProBlogger.com has a lot of great resources for first-time bloggers who may be struggling with keeping to a schedule.
A physical business venture takes research, planning, and sufficient investment of both time and money.
Although it is understandable to be excited, it is best to approach this research stage with calm, patience and diligence.
Waiting two or three weeks to choose a topic is strongly advised to avoid abandonment and disappointment with a hastily chosen topic.
#2 – Build
Create your website
- Write most of your article titles using low competition keywords.
- Just 1 keyword per title, creatively weaved into the title.
- Consider how to best educate your visitors as you tailor your website’s content, including titles.
- Write at least 10-15 articles to start your website, or order “beginner quality” writing for a low price.
- Suggested article length: 500 words minimum.
- Get domain and hosting.
- Install WordPress and install a free WordPress SEO Plugin.
- Publish an ‘affiliate disclaimer’ page and your main pages, like ‘get started’, ‘advertise’, ‘about us’.
- Publish about 4 articles per week for 5x more traffic.
- Publish up to 400 articles over time for major increases in traffic.
#3 – Monetize
Sign up to good affiliate programs
- Use this search term to find an affiliate program: “affiliate program” + “[topic]”
- Sign up for at least 3 affiliate programs and test each program to see if you can make money with it.
- Use a free WordPress plugin to insert ads into pages, blog posts.
- Use “above the fold” positions for your affiliate ads.
- Rotate ads “now and then” for more successful ad placement.
- You can learn How to Make Money Online using Amazon with or without a blueprint.
Making money is a bonus – not a guarantee
Your content should be high quality and engaging, building a regular little group of readers. If you make a little income, that’s great! If you don’t, that’s not because you did anything wrong, although you may have missed a few things.
It’s actually completely normal.
- Some people have immediate success making a little bit of money in affiliate marketing. While this can be encouraging, these people may not be able to tell you why or how their website succeeded. Ask them if their other websites behaved the same way in terms of income.
- No two website performs the same way, judging from our experience. Out of 5 sites, who can say which one will be successful in terms of generating a passive income?
- Patience brings rewards. Don’t be disheartened by brags and your own objectives. Consider how much you’ve been able to learn, build and experience. Renew your domains, continue adding value through quality publishing and focus on improving as needed in those areas where you know you need to work.
- A single commission or no commissions shouldn’t be the only measure used.
Now, the web is filled with remarkable stories. Those that have quick successes with cheats can come and go by the thousands, but those that diligently blog, publish and improve are around far longer.
Be encouraged by good examples of persistence, hard work, humility and honest publishing. You can find affiliate bloggers like these on the web.
Set a series of goals that are attainable
Goals will help you to stay focused when there are too many things to do.
Goal for today: Publish long article about 3 of my favorite DSLR cameras. Goal for 2016: Earn $400 grand total on websites after publishing, domain and hosting costs. Goal for January: 200 visitors per month.
- Goal for January: Guest blog on a major authority site that I follow for larger audience reach!
Goals for each day, even little ones, will help keep you poised and making proper decisions with regard to your time.
- Trust that it will work out, do the 1 thing that will help the site today, then rest from it all.
- Talk it out with your friend or spouse if they’re willing to lend an ear and listen: This is healthy and beneficial, if you can work through discouragement and problems, while remaining hopeful and determined.
- Remember the tortoise that won the race in the Tortoise and the Hare: with diligence and persistence even the slowest runner was able to accomplish a difficult task successfully.
Time management, friends and family
If you are working full time(FT), it will probably be difficult to build a new website. College students may be able to squeeze in a few hours work now and then, but it won’t be without difficulty.
— We want you to be aware.
- Weekends may be a good time for you if you are single. After full time work, it can be hard to focus. Instead, wake up fresh and early, work a few hours without distraction, then set the rest aside.
- If you have a family and other obligations, perhaps you can talk about a single day or weekend where you will find silent work time in an office space away from home.
- Be sure to talk about your goal with your spouse if you want to start learning how to build a website. A supportive spouse or friend can be a great encouragement whenever facing difficulty.
- Put your family and friends above website work: after all, what good is it to have an income from websites if you sacrifice enjoying your life with them today?
It will be easier later on
Even after you’ve published 80 articles and get steady traffic, your website will require maintenance – new articles, some promotions using social media, and some guest blogging.
- For continual traffic growth, keep publishing weekly.
- If you wish to hibernate your website, publish at least 1-2 blog posts per month to maintain “freshness” in Google search.
We hope that after your first year of regular publishing, your work load will gradually be reduced. Stay focused on the attainable goals you’ve set, and do not add needless checkpoints along the way.
We still do sometimes, and that is why we give you this advice.
Keep refocusing and setting attainable goals.
Enjoy your life and spend time with your family and friends.
Is Adsense the best way to monetize a website or blog?
Based on recent news, Adsense monetization payouts have been lowered over the past few years to publishers. Adsense accounts can be closed for any reason, so it can be devastating if a legitimate livelihood depends on it!
- We recommend applying to several affiliate programs with long duration cookies and high commission % percentages.
- We recommend producing an original product or service after you have built at least 1 affiliate website, carefully applying good search engine optimization to your articles.
- Be wise with the programs you apply to: investigate, try them out and be thankful if they pay great commissions!
Despite our above remark, we still use Adsense currently to make an online income as do many others – proceeding with the understanding that it should NOT be a primary form of monetizing your websites.
Start talking to your visitors to understand them
You can learn a lot about your typical visitors using social media like Twitter and Facebook fan pages.
Don’t be afraid to reach out to those who need your assistance and help them without expecting a return.
You will enjoy website ownership even more if you behave truthfully, simply and kindly to those who use your website, and the people you talk to across the web.
- Go to blogs like your own and share whatever would help their readers.
- Be truthful and simple.
- CommentLuv enabled blogs are great for this because they let others see what you recently published. We encourage you to comment at least once a month on blogs you enjoy reading, especially those relevant to your website topic.
We hope this guide to making money with websites has been beneficial to you. We have assembled this guide, our blueprints and plans based on our experiences and study of the topic.
Our own websites do make a bit of income, but it is an added bonus to the fun of website ownership and blogging.
If you should have even one question for us, please send us an email.