Twitter can be a valuable marketing asset for affiliate websites. With 120 million visitors each month, there is a lot of room to reach people.
The questions, “how regularly?”, “when should I tweet?” and “what is proper tweeting?” may come to mind for those of you new to Twitter as a communication platform. Or perhaps, you already use Twitter but don’t know how to attract followers.
To make it a little clearer, we’ve summarized a few of our practices in Twitter. Take a look at 7 Good Twitter Practices for Tweets that Add Followers:
1. Keep your current followers: Be careful tweeting from your phone
Keep your current followers is our first suggestion.
Tweet carefully from your phone. Auto-correct can cause a terrible blunder. Tweeting hastily can lead to misspellings and grammatical errors.
However, a spelling error is not the worst thing that can happen. On many new phones, auto-correct happens instantaneously without the users consent.
- Be patient typing in your tweets by phone. Make sure what you are touch-typing matches what your phone registered.
- Auto-correct can be turned off, on some phones completely.
Don’t let auto-correct bombs slip by, and you’ll be preserving your current follower count and more important, your brand’s reputation.
(A personal tale: “One day I was bidding on a domain name via Flippa.com’s mobile site. My phone was running out of battery life but I wanted to bid before the domain bidding ended. After I entered around $50 for the bid, my phone accepted and transmitted the bid — The auction ended and I had a $450.00 final bid!”)
2. Review your tweet for value
Ask yourself before you click tweet:
- “What will this do for people who read this tweet?”
- “Will they benefit from this tweet, or should I keep looking for a better message to tweet?”
We will delay tweeting a message because we haven’t found anything useful in our tweet worth a share. The Neilsen Norman Research group states, “The best way to reach young adults through social media and to accumulate followers is by offering real value.”
If your audience is older, they will still appreciate the time and effort you put into retrieving valuable information to them through brief messages on Twitter.
33 Valuable Lessons for Affiliate Marketers:
Until you have found something of value to tweet, wait for the cup to fill up.
3. Find a repository of tips
For our own tweets, we Google information on a topic we want to mention in a tweet. Sometimes we may stumble across a gold mine of information in a book, on a blog or in an infographic. That’s a repository for us. Seek the ‘nectar’ of the information repository you’re using.
Bookmark it for later, if you intend to revisit the topic regularly. Add more sources over time.
4. Water as needed
Tweet about once per day when you have spare time.
If you have a tweet in the last 2-3 days, it’s fine to leave it without new tweets.
You’ll know when your feed needs updated.
However, even daily tweets may not be necessary – you can’t expect your audience to be checking Twitter every morning to see what you have to share. Of course, this may differ from audience to audience, subject to subject.
In time, when you have a big enough audience, tweeting more regularly may be welcome.
5. Seek a high standard for each tweet
Setup a professional background, description and logo. Set a standard and be consistent with each message on Twitter and in all other communication formats.
Be serious when it comes to Twitter messages, and friendly.
While composing a tweet from your research, you may ask yourself, “What’s really being said and how can I word it simply?” to come nearer to a phrase that is short and accurate.
- Is it truthful?
- Is it educational?
- Is it inspiring?
- Is it actionable?
- Does it conform to the style of my previous tweets?
- Does it conform to the brand and image I am setting?
- Can this be misunderstood?
- Does it upbuild and enrich?
Write the tweet simply as you consider the tone set in all previous tweets.
6. Use 1 most relevant #hashtag frequently
Use additional hashtags when you go into relevant territories of discussion.
Don’t have any clue about hashtags? Hashtagify.me is a place you can find the most popular Twitter hashtags.
7. Wait for the soil to dry up
Why keep watering a plant two times, three times, four times in a day? You will lose followers if you publish tweets too frequently, especially in the same day, and when you have zero to little brand reputation.
As people check their favorite hashtags and Twitter accounts, they will come across your message.
When starting out using Twitter, it can be easy to share messages that have little value.
However, publishing well-thought out tweets and doing it sparingly, you’ll find Twitter is actually an easy to use platform for affiliate website promotions.
Now a quick recap:
- Be careful tweeting from your phone. Auto correct features can spell disaster for your branding efforts and online marketing. Like high frequency tweeting(spamming), tweets from the phone can be damaging to your Twitter profile and follower count.
- Use a repository of tips. Gather the resources you’ll need to publish valuable tweets that enrich your readers.
- Publish tweets somewhat regularly. The key is not to cause people to unfollow your account, especially while they are getting used to your messages.